And now for something completely different.
This update doesn't bring any new functionalities, but instead focuses on making it much easier to distribute and install marker packs.
First off: marker packs can now be distributed as zip files as well. Any zip file inside the POIs folder next to TacO will be parsed, and all xml files inside there will be imported as markers. This should help out a lot for those of you who don't really like messing around decompressing downloaded stuff.
But wait, there's more!
There's a very interesting thing in windows where it's possible to register an application to handle its own protocol, similar to how file extensions can be assigned a default application. This means that when you click on a non-standard link in your browser, it'll look up the appropriate application and ask you if you want the link opened in that application. Steam uses this mechanic to start games when you click on them in the browser, and now TacO can do something similar too: the overlay now supports one click, on-the-fly installation of marker packs straight from a browser, just by following a link. Of course you first need to download and run the new build in order for the protocol to be registered.
In short: tab out of GW2, go to a website, click a link, tab back to the game and enjoy the markers.
Important: you need to run the new build of TacO once before the links will start to work.
So here's the technical stuff: any website hosting markers can now also link to them using the gw2taco://markerpack/* formula, where the * part should be the actual download URL of the zipped up marker pack without the http:// part (TacO will try to download the zip file through http, and https if that fails).
Here's an example link:
this will tell TacO to download the http://www.somewebsite.com/subfolder/markerpack.zip file, save it to the POIs folder and load it as a marker pack. Some tests are performed to make sure that the file is actually a zip and that it can be loaded before storing it in the POIs folder.
Oh, and also, I registered the gw2taco.com domain :)
You can download the new build here.
- GW2 TacO will no longer be fooled by other windows called "Guild Wars 2"
- Added "toggleCategory" attribute to markers. These markers will toggle the specified category on or off when triggered with the action key.
- Turning off the tactical display will now also hide trails
- Zip compressed marker pack support for easier distribution
- Trail textures will now also be found under the POIs folder (like marker textures are)
- I caved. http://www.gw2taco.com is now official :)
- Added gw2taco:// url scheme support for one click, on-the-fly marker pack installation from any website